Every Saturday there will be nine questions – sometimes they will be around a common theme, other times completely random – to be answered however we like.
1) What will you be doing come Monday (Labor Day)?
In Australia, Monday is just another weekday, so I shall be doing my normal Monday things; a trip to the gym in the morning, my Creative Therapy group in the afternoon and a quiet evening either blogging, watching a DVD or a combination of the two.
2) This song is about a performer who is “heading up to San Francisco for the Labor Day weekend show.” When you think of San Francisco, what’s the first thing that comes to mind?
The first thing that comes to mind are family members who are currently living in San Francisco.
The second thing that comes to mind is the Zodiac Killer.
Not sure what that says about me! :\
3) As he sings, Buffett tells us he’s wearing Hush Puppies casual shoes. What’s on your feet as you answer these nine questions?
No socks; no shoes; nothing. It’s more comfortable that way.
4) So many Jimmy Buffett songs take place on or around the water. When was the last time you were on a boat?
The last time I was on a boat was a ferry trip from the Isle of Rum to Mallaig, on the west coast of Scotland. I took a day trip to the island in February of 2008. It is a beautiful place and I would have loved to have spent a little bit more time there.
5) Everyone knows Jimmy Buffett can write music, but he also has more than half a dozen books to his credit. What’s the last book you read?
Sadomasochism for Accountants…which isn’t, by the way, a handbook for the deviantly minded mathematician, but a breezy comedy novel. Definitely worth a look if you ever get the chance.
6) Jimmy’s persona is that of a simple beach bum, but in reality he’s a conglomerate, with his own beverage company, more than a dozen restaurants and a couple of hotels. He’s so successful he has several homes, including a luxury mansion in the Hamptons! If you, like Buffett, could just take off and spend Labor Day weekend anywhere, where would you go? Who would you take along?
I answered a question very similar to this a few days ago as part of the ‘Try Looking At It Through My Eyes Challenge’, but if I were to answer it here, I would rather like to spend the weekend in Tasmania; a part of Australia I’ve always wanted to visit….but given my isolated nature, I would probably have to go alone for someone would need to be a little insane to want to travel with me! :p
7) This weekend may offer a golden opportunity for napping and sleeping in. Do you snore?
Not to my knowledge.
8) Labor Day was introduced to celebrate the achievements of the American worker. Yet this Recession has taken its toll on many of us laborers. Sam’s brother, a movie projectionist, hasn’t worked full-time in his chosen profession in more than a year. Is anyone close to you struggling with unemployment or underemployment? (If so, they are in our thoughts this weekend, too.)
I have been unemployed due to mental and physical health problems since 2009. It’s not fun, it’s not pretty and it doesn’t mean I’m lazy. Anyone who is currently struggling with unemployment have my thoughts this – and every – weekend, for it is not a pleasant place to be.
9) Onto something happier … Labor Day traditionally marks the beginning of the new school year. When she was a kid, Samantha was crazy for her brand new box of 96 Crayola Crayons. It even had a sharpener in the back! What do you remember about preparing to go back to school? If you’re a parent with school-age kids, are they ready?
The two things I remember most about preparing to go back to school are anxiety (as it always meant that bullying wouldn’t be too far behind) and brand spanking new stationary (which is a much more pleasant memory for someone with a stationary fetish!)