I first wrote this on a beautiful summer’s day just before Christmas 2005 and recently came across it buried in the dregs of the internet. After re-reading it – and remembering the fact I was topless in Edinburgh Gardens whilst writing it (oh, how things change!) – I decided to post it for all to see.
Technically, I can’t call it a Bucket List as it was compiled long before I became aware of that term. So it’s just a list of things I want to do before I head off to explore the undiscovered country.
Note I: Aside from the first five items, the list is in no real order.
Note II: Those crossed out have already been completed!
Note III: Some of the items have been amended or altered given the changes in circumstances between then and now. For example, item (2) was written referencing my then partner – and it would seem a little odd now to have fathering her child as an item on my bucket list.
If anyone feels like giving me a hand with any of the uncompleted items, I’ll reciprocate however/whenever you wish…especially if that item is (1) Anyone who helps me with that will receive infinite thanks and an eternity of favors :p
- I know what this is but I can’t write about it here. It’s not illegal in any way, shape or form and is something most people have experienced at some point in time. It’s ridiculously simple, something I’ve wanted for over two decades and no matter how hard I’ve tried to cross this item off the list it still eludes me…and yes, it’s bloody annoying I still haven’t crossed this off!
- Become a father
- Visit Uluru
- Go to university
- Be able to talk to people about who I am, what I believe and the things I feel without suffering crippling panic attacks.
- See a fictional story I wrote published
Note: Completed in 2009 when I had a short story published in a magazine.
- Write The Ghosts That Haunt Me
Note: Completed in 2007 (initial first draft) to 2009 (final draft)
- Be able to walk into a bookstore and purchase a copy of The Ghosts That Haunt Me and say to the cashier “I wrote that” with a stupid grin on my face!
- Write and direct a film version of The Ghosts That Haunt Me.
- Visit the Shetland Islands
- Do a nudie run
Note: Completed in 2007 courtesy of a manic fuelled desire to win a bet Sammi posed.
- To be able to say I have a best friend
- Visit Tasmania
- Read Jane Eyre
Note: Completed in 2008, back when I had the ability to focus on reading.
- Create a time-machine and travel back in time to hang out on Glenelg Beach 26 January 1966, so I can discover what happened to the Beaumont Children.
- Perform one of my public renditions of Shakespeare with someone else reading a role.
- Become a citizen of Australia.
- Again, I apologise for the mystery, but I can’t talk about this one as it’s a companion to item (1)
- Adapt and direct a film version of Macbeth.
- Have a pet turtle, whom I shall name Magnus
- Visit South America (specifically the Incan Pyramids)
- Star in an episode of Doctor Who
- See a live Runrig concert.
- Reconnect with my Canadian friends.
- Once more, I can’t talk about this one either as it’s (once more) connected to item (1)
Note: Completed in Adelaide, 2007 and Glasgow, 2008.
- Visit Tasmania
- See my sister again
Note: Completed in July 2007 when my sister came to Melbourne following a suicide attempt. Probably the worst thing that could have happened to me given all I was going through at the time!
- See my sister reach a healthy, stable state where she can live a ‘normal’ life and achieve all her dreams.
- Visit Antarctica
- Meet Colin Hay (at the time my favourite singer, now, my second favourite singer)
Note: Completed in March 2006 at the Port Fairy Folk Festivalwhen he signed my favourite album of his (Company of Strangers) and then again a few weeks later when he played a gig in Melbourne.
- Cuddle a wombat
Note: Completed sometime in 2010 whilst homeless. There was a mini Aussie animal petting zoo set up in Federation Square so I stole the opportunity.
- Live for a year in the Outer Hebrides, writing a book about my experience. Possibly with my pet turtle (a la Ring of Bright Water)
- Have an exhibition showcasing my photography in a gallery.
- Create a time machine and journey back to Scotland, 1745.
- Obtain a doctorate so I can officially (and somewhat arrogantly) nickname myself ‘The Doctor’ :p
- Spend the day on a nude beach!
- Hike the West Highland Way.
- Karaoke Holding Out For a Hero with a group of friends
- Definitively prove the existence of the Loch Ness Monster.
- Become Grace’s friend.
Note: Completed 2006. Then I royally screwed up in 2008. Closest I ever came to item (59).
- Learn how to drive.
- Travel the Trans-Siberian Railway
- Travel the Gahn Railway (Adelaide to Darwin)
- Travel the Indian Pacific Railway (Sydney to Perth)
- Again, this one is connected to item (1). Sorry.
- As is this one! Bigger apology!
- Visit every state in Australia.
- Overcome my mental health issues so I can live a normal, productive life.
- Be a member of a regular Pub Trivia Team
- Undertake a ‘silly boy’s project’ and then write a book about my adventure!
- Be the recipient of a surprise birthday party
- Cycle the Bay in a Day
- Climb Ben Nevis
- Visit Sydney
Note: Completed in June 2008. Seeing the Opera House and Harbor Bridge was awesome. As was the National Gallery. Aside from this, I’m not a huge fan of this city.
- Attend a High School Reunion and not be seen as a pointless failure in life!
- Cycle across the Nullabor
- Hug Toni Pearen.
- Live to see the day when same-sex couples can marry legally in Australia
- Be someone’s “friend” for at least three years!
- Write a non-fictional book about Scottish folk and folklore.
- Learn how to play the fiddle
- See an Otter in the wild
Note: Completed in April 2008 when I saw one casually swimming down the river Ness. I immediately thought of my first girlfriend, who always wanted to see an otter in the wild.
- Create a time machine and journey back to Caldicot, 1993 and give myself a good beating for being such a shy, anxiety prone pillock!
- Have my own radio show on 3RRR
- Write, produce and direct a feature film and then have it featured at the MIFF.
- Establish the website I’ve had in mind for three years relating to item (1)
- Karaoke Paradise by the Dashboard Light with a friend.
- Fly around the world on the back of a Dragon.
Live to see the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who!Note: Completed November 2013 when I watched ‘The Day of the Doctor’ worldwide simulcast.
- Read a Patrick White novel
Note: Completed April/May 2012 when I borrowed Voss and A Fringe of Leaves from the library.
- Create, write and edit a fanzine style publication featuring fiction, poetry, non-fiction and photography.
- Hug David Tennant!
- Spend some time lurking around that bookstore in Paris you’ve always dreamed about!
- Visit Spain and learn how to salsa whilst there.
- Write travel book(s) about my time backpacking, calling them “A Shy Guy in…[country]”
- Learn how to tango
Note: Completed in Adelaide, 2007 whilst manic. And yes, I was pretty darned awesome at it!
- See the musical Spamalot
Note: Completed in April 2008 when I spent a couple of nights in London. Alan Dale played King Arthur!
- Adapt and direct a version of the book The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty
- Become owner of my own Backpacker Hostel.
- Meet Charles De Lint.
- Slap Louise’s brother for being an arrogant, self-absorbed, pretentious prick.
- Visit Luxembourg. Just so I can say I’ve been there!
- Swim with sea turtles
- Be able to look at myself in the mirror and not vomit (curse my body image issues!)
- Read Death in Brunswick
- Establish my own independent publishing company.
- Realize my business plan for the café/bar/shop business you’ve been working on for years!
- Publish a photography book celebrating the female form (tasteful and creative a la Bernadine, not cheesy soft-core)
- Write a short story collection related to item (1) and have it published for people to enjoy!
- See my name published in a newspaper
Note: Completed in 2002 when I had a letter published, and then on several occasions until 2009.
- Run the London Marathon
- Introduce Australia to the joys (if not health benefits) of sausages in batter!
- Chill out in Rome
- Watch a live snooker match
Note: Completed in February 2008 when I spent a day at the Welsh Open in Newport, South Wales. First match watched was the brilliant Ronnie O’Sullivan. Second match, Mark Williams. Great fun!
- Take my daughter – upon completion of (2) – on a trip around Scotland to show her how beautiful, varied and amazing the country and its history really are!
- Visit Newfoundland
- Ride an elephant whilst dressed as Indiana Jones circa Temple of Doom
- Learn how to swim with my eyes open.
- Hug Audrey Hepburn (may have to utilize the time-machine for this one!)
Make a positive difference to someone’s life.Note: Completed in March 2015 when I received an email from someone who wishes to remain anonymous asking me to tick this item off the list. Plus, I believe I’ve helped a number of people by writing this blog, thus making a positive different to their lives. If you disagree, please contact me and let me know! :p
- Wear a kilt (in the traditional fashion) to a public event!
Note: Completed in April 2008 when my brother and sister-in-law allowed me to wear one at their wedding. Not sure if they knew I was ‘traditional’ beneath the kilt though…ahh well, they do now!