Well, I’m currently camping in the Australian Bush as part of a week-long holiday organised by the mental health organisation I frequent. I will no doubt share my experiences upon my return home at the end of the week, but due to the luxury of post-scheduling, I’ve decided to share one of the activities I’ll be undertaking during the trip.
In addition to canoeing, drawing, BBQ boating, badminton and karaoke, we will be enjoying a trivia night of my own creation; thus allowing me to fulfil a life-long dream of being a trivia host! :)
So, for a bit of fun, here is (in a slightly edited form) the quiz I will be challenging people with. This way, you can play-a-long at home and impress everyone with your immense knowledge of all things trivia! But be warned, some of the questions are not what you would call ‘easy’! :p
– Addy’s Trivia Extravaganza –
1. GEOGRAPHY: Name six countries that contain only one vowel, repeated three times (for example, Bahamas) (6)
2. MULTIPLE CHOICE: In 2010, what species produced offspring in the wild in the UK for the first time in around 400 years after reintroduction to Scotland: Beaver, Bear; Wolf; or Reindeer? (1)
3. PICTURE: Who is this person and what comedy series does she regularly appear in? (2)
4. SPORT: In which years during the 1990s were the Winter Olympics held? (1)
5. MENTAL HEALTH: EMDR is a therapy commonly used to treat which symptom of mental distress? And for a bonus point…what does EMDR stand for? (2)
6. MENTAL HEALTH @ THE MOVIES: Can you identify the movie from their short description? (5)
a. After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano moves back in with his parents and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany, a mysterious girl with problems of her own.
b. A young girl is institutionalized by her abusive stepfather. Retreating to an alternative reality as a coping strategy, she envisions a plan which will help her escape from the mental facility.
c. A young woman, recently released from a mental hospital, gets a job as a secretary to a demanding lawyer, where their employer-employee relationship turns into a sexual, sadomasochistic one
d. Upon admittance to a mental institution, a brash rebel rallies the patients to take on the oppressive head nurse.
e. Based on writer Susanna Kaysen’s account of her 18-month stay at a mental hospital in the 1960s.
7. AUSTRALIAN HISTORY: Sydney was established first, but what Australian state capitol city was founded second? (1)
8. MENTAL HEALTH: The Happiness Trap, The Reality Slap and The Confidence Gap are books by which author? (1)
9. SPORT: Since 1940 there have been three AFL Grand Final replays due to the first match being drawn; in 1948, 1977 and 2010. Can you name the three teams who were triumphant in these replays? (3)
10. MENTAL HEALTH: On what date every year is World Mental Health Day? (1)
11. PICTURE: Who is this person? (1)
12. AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR: Who was the first Australian of the Year…who was Australian of the Year in 2010…who is the current Australian of the Year? (3)
13. MENTAL HEALTH: The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders was first published in what year? (1)
14. MUSIC: What kind of sandwich did the man in Brussels give the singer in “Down Under”? (1)
15. MULTIPLE CHOICE: Which of the Rolling Stones has a cameo role as Captain Jack Teague, father of Jack Sparrow in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean, At World’s End’: Mick Jagger; Charlie Watts, Keith Richards; or Ronnie Wood? (1)
16. PICTURE: Who is this person and what is the name of his regular side-kick on the quiz show he hosts? (2)
17. LITERATURE: Who wrote Puckoon and Hitler: My Part in His Downfall? (1)
18. TELEVISION: Which Lord of the Rings star played Diver Dan in the hit ABC television series Seachange? (1)
19. MULTIPLE CHOICE: One member of the children’s sensation “The Wiggles”, Anthony Field, had his musical beginnings in a pretty mediocre 80’s rock band called “The ______________”; Koalas, Wombats, Cockroaches or Praying Mantises? (1)
20. MENTAL HEALTH: SMART Goals are an effective way to prepare for the future, but what does the acronym SMART actually stand for? (1)
21. LITERATURE: Which author wrote the novels Voss, A Fringe of Leaves and The Tree of Man? (1)
22. SPORT: Excluding foul shots, what is the maximum break attainable in a frame of snooker? (1)
23. PICTURE: What artist painted this picture? (1)
24. MOVIES: Silvermist, Rosetta and Fawn are all characters in which Disney franchise? (1)
25. AUSTRALIAN HISTORY: When did Australian women get the vote (nationally)? (1)
26. MULTIPLE CHOICE: Melanophobia is the irrational fear of what: The colour black; Punishment; Fruit; or Children? (1)
27. MOVIES: Classical pianist David Helfgott’s story was told in what movie? (1)
28. MUSIC: Can you name five of the top ten selling (in Australia) albums of all time? (5)
29. SPORT: “The Thunder from Down Under” and “The Melbourne Machine” are nicknames of which Australian sports star? (1)
30. MENTAL HEALTH: Graham Green, author of Brighton Rock, suffered from which mental illness? (1)
31. MULTIPLE CHOICE: Vermillion is a shade of which colour: Green; Blue; Red; or Yellow? (1)
32. MOVIES: Who directed the feature films Amistad, The Terminal and War Horse? (1)
33. FLAGS: Can you identify the country from a description of their flag? (5)
a. Three equal vertical stripes of blue, white and red?
b. Three equal horizontal stripes of black, red and yellow?
c. A red flag with a black triangle superimposed on a slightly longer yellow arrowhead bearing a white star in the center of the black triangle?
d. Two equal horizontal stripes of white and red?
e. A rectangle divided in the middle with black top, red bottom and yellow circle?
34. PICTURE: What is this character’s name, who voices him and in what movie series does he appear? (3)
– END OF QUIZ –
Total Points available 60
[Click here for the answers]
So, how did you go? If you’ve got over 40 I’ll be deeply impressed! :)