Today’s prompt in the 30 Day Self Harm Awareness Challenge asks
Strangest place (school, park, etc) you’ve ever injured yourself?
I know the prompt only asks for one place, but I’ve decided to share six of the strangest places that I’ve ever injured myself. Why? Just because… :)
1. Once, when I was at school, I stabbed myself in the hand with a sharpened pencil. Fun times!
2. Once, after a prolonged period of public abuse from my abuser, I retired to the bar’s public toilet and used the metallic toilet paper holder to self-harm before returning to the group for more abuse.
3. During my initial foray into homelessness in the winter of 2007, I threw myself so hard into a tree in the middle of a public park that I knocked myself unconscious.
4. When my homelessness was in full-swing I lost count of the number of parks and alleyways that I self-harmed in.
5. When it was too dark for me to self-harm in parks and alleyways, I would often use whatever lighted public space I could find, including Melbourne’s Federation Square.
6. During a particularly stressful appointment with a psychiatrist, I self-harmed in the clinic’s public bathroom, less than ten metres from the room where the psychiatrist was sitting.