Every Saturday there will be nine questions – sometimes they will be around a common theme, other times completely random – to be answered however we like.
1) Have you ever danced the polka?
I’ve danced the waltz, tango, salsa, paso doble.
I’ve break danced, swing danced, drunk danced and dad danced.
And nailed every single one of them in ways that Dancing with the Stars contestants never will!
But I’ve never danced the polka…however I’ve danced in a purple and white polka dot skirt, does that count?
2) Frankie Yankovic was a stellar accordion player. What instrument have you mastered, or would like to learn?
I am the Master of Good King Wenceslas on the recorder, courtesy of my recorder group in Primary School.
Many of my fellow male classmates gave me a lot of grief for being the only boy in the recorder group…never once taking into consideration that this meant everyone else in the recorder group were gorgeous, cute, deliciously attractive girls. Which, at a time when my eyes were opening to the wonders of the opposite sex, was rather awesome ;)
3) When Frankie died in 1998, his obituary proclaimed him as “America’s Polka King.” Lucille Ball was “The Queen of Comedy” and Michael Jackson was “The King of Pop.” What royal title do you deserve?
I don’t believe I deserve a title. Even if I did, it’s not something I could give myself…so I’ll throw it open for suggestions :)
4) Do you like light beer?
I don’t like beer, period. Horrible, disgusting stuff that tastes worse than yak’s piss! How anyone can enjoy drinking it is beyond me.
Give me a single malt any day of the week, much more satisfying.
5) In 1901, daredevil Annie Taylor successfully went over Niagara Falls in a barrel. She was badly bruised but otherwise fine. How much money would it take for you do to do something that dangerous?
No money, all it would take for me to do something that dangerous is love.
6) When was the last time you visited a pet store?
Alice Springs, 2008. My girlfriend wanted to get a dog. Thankfully, given my fear of dogs, we didn’t end up getting one.
7) What’s your favorite salad dressing?
I particularly enjoy a citrus dressing. But if this isn’t available, I’m a classic ‘balsamic vinegar’ guy.
8) Sam Winters is crazy about her smart phone. She uses it to take pictures, record videos, listen to tunes, answer emails and surf the net and, oh yeah, she even uses it to make calls. How indispensable is your mobile phone in your day-to-day life?
I rarely use my mobile phone.
Unlike the rest of society, as regular readers of my blog know, I live in poverty…and when you live in poverty you’re not allowed access to things like smart phones (or televisions, decent computers, iPod’s, tablet computers or internet access). I think this has something to do with society being terrified of giving people who live in poverty a voice.
But I adamantly believe that these people deserve the biggest voice of all!
So, other than the occasional phone call to remind me of appointments or chat to my family, I rarely use my phone.
9) “Kocham cię” is “I love you” in Polish. Can you say “I love you” in a language other than English (and Polish)?
Scottish Gaelic: Tha gaol agam ort
French: Je t’aime
German: Ich liebe dich
Spanish: Te quiero
Icelandic: Ég elska þig
Italian: Ti amo