1. I have never in my life applauded the studio’s logo at the start of the film. Occasionally I’ll smile, sometimes I’ll giggle, but I’ve never before APPLUADED…until now! Whoever decided upon the design and sound of the Universal logo should be immediately Knighted by the Queen and revered for all eternity as a genius. I can’t tell you what they do, it’ll spoil it, but it is reason enough to watch the film itself!
2. Hate is such a strong word so let’s just say I don’t have high regards for Michael Cera. He was mildly entertaining in Arrested Development and Superbad was good, but mostly for Carla Gallo! However, Cera’s performance in this movie almost makes up for the atrocity he inflicted on us with Year One.
3. THEY USE MUSIC FROM THE LEGEND OF ZELDA AS PART OF THE SCORE OF THIS MOVIE! SQQQUUUEEEEE!
4. You get to see Superman have his ass kicked! Nuff said.
5. The greatest hair in the history of cinema!
6. In fact the owner of (5) is reason enough to see the movie. Having perused the CV of Mary Elizabeth Winstead, I have seen her in only five movies – and of those five, liked only one. After her superb performance in Scott Pilgrim vs The World I not only want to watch those five movies again, but also her entire back catalogue.
7. It is THE most visually stunning movie of the year. And yes, I’m including the overrated Inception in that! If you have any love of visual invention, composition, style and cinema trickery you have to watch this movie. Again, I won’t give anything away as who wants to be spoiled – but prepare to lose your mind at how good this film looks (and I’m not just talking about Mary Elizabeth Winstead!)
8. This movie redefines the action sequence. Even when it came down to the final evil-ex I did not have any ‘meh’ feelings toward them. Even though they could easily have become tedious and boring, each is unique, each ups the game, and each is choreographed to perfection.
9. Anyone who knows me even a little will know how much I love Edgar Wright. I haven’t always had these feelings toward him, until 2001 I didn’t even know who he was…but then Spaced winked at me across the living room and I couldn’t help but think how much I wanted to be having long squelchy nights of carnal intimacy with the inspired genius that was the direction of that show. Shaun of the Dead would have been met with a proposal. Hot Fuzz would have been that moment in the relationship where you remember all the reasons you fell in love in the first place and embark on a weekend of illicit sexual activity in order to celebrate. Scott Pilgrim vs The World is like knowing every day of your life will be spent with the person opposite you – and you wouldn’t want it any other way. Edgar Wright, you sir, are a genius of the highest order! So let’s forget I’ve basically stated I want to have perverted sex with your creative outputs for the rest of my life, as that’s a bit weird, don’t ya reckon?
10. For this, I could say: the rest of the cast (especially Ellen Wong, Kieran Culkin, Jason Schwartzman and Alison Pill), I could say the brilliant songs, I could say how damned funny it is, I could say so many things for this final reason but there is only one thing I keep coming back to…THEY USE MUSIC FROM THE LEGEND OF ZELDA AS PART OF THE SCORE OF THIS MOVIE! SQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Final Verdict: 9.2/10 – Knockout! This film is truly and utterly stunning in every detail. A near perfect movie.